[TriLUG] TWC "Existing Customer Promotion"

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 14:41:24 EDT 2014

> "an organization that maintains the infrastructure for a public service".

Traditionally in the US we had a problem in dealing with Monopolies derived from limited access to the market. Electricity, Water/Sewer and Phone being the best examples. The only one that has changed is phone, which has changed into communication services ie. TV/Internet/Phone. Clearly I have struck a cord on this group, but technically Communications has rightly been deregulated for all the reasons mentioned. There is enough competition to remove regulation and everyone should be happy about it. I am thinking many may not remember how horrific the phone company was to deal with. Regulated Utilities are generally horrible.

It is possible to set up the markets as you stated in Austrailia and it as been tried in the US as well. It generally has failed though becasue the limited access to the market is still the problem. I have not read the Wikipedia definition, but I don't need to when explaining the logic and reasoning behind the legalities of why Utilities exist.

TWC is not a Utility by plain virtue of the rampant and consistent growing competition. Meaning little restrictions to the market.

John Vaughters

On Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:20 PM, Bill Farrow <bill at arrowsreach.com> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:13 PM, John Vaughters <jvaughters04 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I work for utilites and TWC cable is nothing close to the definition of a Utility.
> This is reserved for businesses for which competition cannot easily occur.

The natural monopoly due to high infrastructure costs is not an
essential part of being a utility. Wikipedia defines it as "an
organization that maintains the infrastructure for a public service".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_utility

In Australia you can choose to buy your electricity from a number of
different electricity retailers. There is only a single set of poles
and lines, and these are run as a utility. The retailers and power
generators (coal, gas, solar, hydro, etc) compete for your consumer
dollar.

Bill
--
This message was sent to: John Vaughters <jvaughters04 at yahoo.com>