[TriLUG] Hit me with your best shot

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 14:54:19 EDT 2014

My main thing would be ease of install. One of the most powerful features
of Linux is yum install etc. Working on winblows really blows when you have
to install stuff. In Linux its easy and almost always "just works".

It looks to me like one runs Ubuntu on Crouton. That said, problems I've
had with ubuntu are mostly hardware related. Funny part is, the same stuff
doesn't work well in Windows either. A particular cheapo printer model I
bought at Fred's as the company was discontinuing it it was so bad. SW
barely ran on Linux and would never work after a reboot without reinstall.
On windows, it doesn't work WPS as advertised and only works locally if I
don't setup the WPS stuff.

On the plus side, Linux support for USB Android devices is much easier then
winblows IME. Juniper networks VPN doesn't have an official Linux client
that I know of but there's something out there which worked last year when
I had to do that. I ad an issue with Google+ not working on all the
hardware but it also didn't work with the mic input on my winblows laptop
either (other conferencing apps worked fine, I mainly just use skype
nowadays personally).

You might want to use ubuntu one. It works fine ubuntu and windows. But I
later setup an svn server and thats better for me. Explaining ubuntuone to
a power user but non-techie is not any easier than explaining svn i don't
think.

My $.02,
Tim