[TriLUG] Hit me with your best shot

Sean Alexandre sean at alexan.org
Thu Mar 13 15:33:07 EDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 02:16:06PM -0400, Ken MacKenzie wrote:
> If you use the internet they got you...

Mine challenge was: "Not be spied on by Google."

This is a new and different challenge: "Not be spied on by _them_."

It's an interesting challenge too, but, I agree, much harder. I'm really
just interested in the former to start.

Chromebooks look nice and the techie in me wants one, but I'd want to know
how much work it would be to "not be spied on by Google."

Are there terms of use that come with the purchase and if there are do they
allow rooting the device?

How easy is it wipe ChromeOS and install another distro?

Does Google have an official statement on all this that would make me feel like
they're open to this and haven't done something lower level, in hardware, to
spy on me?

My gut sense is just using Crouton isn't enough, but I don't know.