[TriLUG] Hit me with your best shot

Ken MacKenzie ken at mack-z.com
Thu Mar 13 15:07:13 EDT 2014

OK I will reply inline:

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Igor Partola <igor at igorpartola.com> wrote:

> Absolutely. Even if you never type in your real identity, doesn't the
> T-Mobile chip give away your identity? Or maybe your network connection at
> home which is tied to your ISP who likely has your real IP address?

Exactly

Back to your actual question, here are some more things to try:

>  - Can you run your favorite editor: vim, emacs, Sublime, etc?

vim yes, others not tried, but I got Ninja-IDE installed

>  - Can you use git?

Not tried, I would wager yes.  It is not exactly that intense.

>  - Can you run arbitrary shell scripts?

Yes, in fact I use a couple of them to override some hardware settings
trickled down from chrome, this would be in crouton.

>  - Can you install arbitrary programming languages: Go, Python, Ruby,
> Node.js, etc?

Python 2.7 is on the machine, as is a version of 3 that KXStudio needs.

>  - Can you run GPG? (Can you run GPG securely without Google et al stealing
> your private key?) Can you run a mail client that supports GPG?

Give me a mail client that supports GPG, and keep in mind everything I do
goes through gmail.  I have used kmail, evolution and thunderbird in the
past.

>  - Can you run ssh-agent?

I have ssh connections I have done against two different servers both in
chrome and crouton so that works.  I am yet to try ssh tunneling and VNC.

>  - Can you interface with hardware such as the MSP430 or Arduino via a USB
> programmer or a USB to serial adapter?

I already mentioned the USB-Midi keyboard.  Afraid I don't have anything
more exotic but willing to try what ever anyone wants to put in front of
me.

>  - Can you run a BitCoin ASICS USB miner?

I have never used anything bit coin related, so where should I start to
test this out.

>  - Can you run a local web server?

Well I hear tell of others running a lamp stack on this.  I have started
moving towards NGINX lately.  Give me your stack flavor and I will give it
a try.

>  - Can you use it to make phone calls over Skype or Google Voice?

I will try both of these tonight from home.  I use both.  There is no skype
under Chromeos but I can try it under Crouton.