[TriLUG] Windows 7 - permissions

M. R. 13miketele at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 19 21:34:37 EDT 2014

I know, I know: I should not be using Windows anything.
But then there are the 2-4 special programs for which I do not have
practical substitutes
Mea culpa.

Anyway: Here I am caught in Windows 7 hell:
1    It complains when I want use a program that changes some file
2    It refuses to permit editing and saving of files in \Programs and
other directories
3    MS support has pages that list 4 things areas to work on; each of
these redirects back to itself - repeatedly
4    I could go on, but you know the drill.

I do not expect hand-holding for every step but I would welcome hints
for sites you have found that provide good, understandable help on file
and directory permissions, ACE/ACL and program settings that will
permanently set my permissions and access so that I don't get popup
windows and denials/refusals all the time?

BTW: I am logged on as a user with administrative privileges and can see
that I am supposed to have 'full' permissions (R, W, Create, D, etc.).

Thanks from Mike, the non-geek.