[TriLUG] Bylaws and Articles for vote on May 8

Hrivnak, Michael mhrivnak at hrivnak.org
Tue Apr 29 00:36:51 EDT 2014

On behalf of the TriLUG Steering Committee, I submit to you a copy of our
proposed new Bylaws and changes to the Articles of Incorporation, both of
which will be put to a vote of the membership at the general meeting on May
8.

TriLUG will seek status as an exempt nonprofit on the grounds of being a
charitable organization under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code.
The Steering Committee has put a lot of work into creating these bylaws and
modifying the articles in preparation for a nonprofit application to the
IRS. Thank you to those members who provided feedback via email, and
especially those who participated in the recent in-person meeting to
discuss the bylaws.

The general idea was to move as much business policy out of the articles as
possible and into a new bylaws document that describes the fundamental
operating procedures and purpose of the organization. This is much more
in-line with how most nonprofits are defined.

Assuming we adopt these or other bylaws, they can be changed at any time by
a vote of the membership. Changes to the Articles of Incorporation however
require a vote of the membership, followed by submission to the NC
Secretary of State (with payment of the corresponding fee, of course). Thus
it is advantageous for us to limit the Articles of Incorporation to only
those issues that are required, and express everything else in the bylaws.

Links to the actual proposals:
http://trilug.org/~mhrivnak/TriLUGbylaws.pdf
http://trilug.org/~mhrivnak/TriLUGAoIChanges.pdf

We look forward to voting on these changes on May 8, and then hopefully
moving forward with the 501(c)3 application process.

Michael Hrivnak