[TriLUG] Vbox guest OS choices

Jeremy Davis jeremyhwllc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 11:51:28 EDT 2014

I ran into all the same problems as I transitioned from a windows power
user to an anti-windows user. Eventually I realized that running windows in
a Vbox triggers almost as much anxiety as windows on a metal box, because
you still have a lot of nonsense going on just keeping a windows os alive.
So I deleted the windows vboxes and noticed life is better with a zero
tolerance windows policy.

Next, for the printer, and this may sound crazy, I quit printing stuff.
Hellosign and Hellofax makes it easy to sign and fax from gmail.  If I
seriously need printing done, I load it up to Staples.com and go pick it
up. Keep the receipt and the mileage can be written off on taxes as vehicle
depreciation, which equates to roughly .50 cents per mile and normally
exceeds the cost of the print job. Bottom line, printer anxiety is non
existant.

As for the itunes anxiety, I would dump it all into Google Play. Then you
would have seemless use across all browser enabled devices including Linux.

So that is how I do it. Zero tolerance for windows, apple, and printers.

Obviously the drawback is Google dependancy where OSS solutions are not
available.

Jeremy Davis
@jeremydavis0_0
www.trianglecareerdevelopment.com