[TriLUG] Synology DiskStation or other NAS/media server hardware recommendations?

Alan Sterger asterger at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 12 13:47:14 EDT 2014

I purchased a new Synology DS713+ DiskStation about 6 months ago.  It
sits on my desk, its quiet.  Out-of-the-box, disks spin down (hibernate)
with no usage, but this is configurable.  Any new DiskStation will
probably come with DSM 5.0 OS.  Not everyone in the Syno user community
is happy with this version.  I run DSM 4.3 Update 4.  Synology still
supports OS updates for prior DSM versions.

Don't know anything about "j" versions but have read Syno community
posts about it being underpowered (RAM).  And if memory serves Synology
stated it was abandoning older hardware in future OS upgrades.  Again
don't know whether this applies.

I run the DS713+ for backups of 3 computers and some SOHO work files.  I
have 1GB of RAM with LAG configured.  I run just Windows File Service
with no additional packages.  In this configuration, DS713+ consumes
~10% of RAM and < 10% CPU when Acronis True Image (backup) run.

I'm happy with the DS713+ but would suggest you spend a couple of days
reading in the Synology forums before pulling the trigger.

Cheers,

-- Alan S.