[TriLUG] The latest volley in municipal broadband

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Thu Jul 17 08:52:11 EDT 2014

The US House passed an amendment 233-200 to "defend" States Rights over
the FCC's plans to preempt laws preventing municipal broadband.

Article here:
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/07/congresswoman-defends-states-rights-to-protect-isps-from-muni-competition/

No surprise that the amendment's supporter was paid to the tune of $40,000
by the cable companies and other big ISPs.

I thought this comment was particularly choice: "We demand the federal
government stop infringing on our rights to infringe on city/municipality
rights"

My own thoughts on this is how can this be a State issue when companies
like ATT, Verizon, Comcast, and TWC are national?  Would this not make it
legitimate Federal and FCC territory?