[TriLUG] ip kvm switch

Bill Weinel tube.radio at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 08:57:30 EDT 2014

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 09:34:41 PM jason tower wrote:
> can anyone suggest a good quality datacenter kvm switch(es)?  haven't
> bought any for quite a while so i'm a little behind on the current state
> of the art.  we have nine racks, each with about six servers.  really
> only need one physical console to handle all of them, so presumably
> something with cat5 extenders would be best.  i also want remote IP
> capability that works well from linux workstations.  beyond that i don't
> really need any other fancy features that the high end models tend to
> incorporate.

I'd recommend Avocent AMX KVM switches (assuming your video output is not
DVI.) We control about 40 systems through them. I don't think I've ever had a
failure with one in the past 8 years.

If you need DVI output then take a look at Avocent HMX or Matrix.

Be aware, they are not cheap... But you get what you pay for. :)

Cheers,
Bill