[TriLUG] ip kvm switch

Heath Roberts htroberts at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 09:12:05 EDT 2014

I think the big players are still Raritan, Cyclades (bought by Avocent),
and APC. They're all fine. We use HP, which I think is a rebadged Avocenet,
at work, also fine, and I see a 16-port one of those on eBay for $50. If
you buy a used one, make sure the seller either has or clears the
passwords--IIRC they're not customer recoverable. One thing I like about
the HP is that the server-side 'dongles' (that convert from RJ45 to video
and either PS2 or USB) are pretty low-profile, and have short integral
cables, unlike some of the others that want to plug directly into the
server's video connector.

I've not tried using one from a linux browser--we have linux servers but
not desktops.