[TriLUG] Far, far OT: Thin-wall bushings

Brian lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Wed Sep 10 15:35:55 EDT 2014

I knew there'd be some knowledge to glean on this list!  Here're some

On 9/10/2014 2:41 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> I don't know if the tubing is as thin as you want. Can you turn the
> shaft down?

Not without a great deal of trouble; it's the armature of a stepper motor.

On 9/10/2014 11:17 AM, C TC wrote:
 > Does it have to be metal? I've used delrin [...]

I'm concerned about rigidity.  I printed one out of ABS and it's got too
much give; the gear wobbles.  Delrin is more rigid, but I'm not certain
it's rigid enough.

The application is the Z axis of a DIY CNC drill press; that is, the
up/down movement of the drill arbor.  I have modified a MicroLux
miniature drill press by removing the return spring and replacing the
lever with a worm gear; the worm itself is the offender with its 6.5mm
bore.  There's a considerable amount of force involved, and I'm right at
the bitter edge of the motor's torque capabilities, so I'm trying to
eliminate as much torque-eating flex from the system as possible.  I may
end up having to find a stronger stepper anyhow, or adding additional
reduction gearing (which might provide an avenue around this whole issue).

Thanks, everyone!

~Brian