[TriLUG] [way OT] new auto recommendations

Roger W. Broseus rogerb at bronord.com
Fri Oct 17 15:44:30 EDT 2014

Steve

Consumer Reports put the Honda Fit and the Prius in a near tie for lowest
total cost of ownership. Both are rated highly in terms of reliability. Total
cost of ownership includes insurance which can be high for a high-performance car.

My daughter is on her second Fit and loves it. I bought a 2011 Prius in 2012
and have not had any problems. It fits me well even tho I expand to fill the
space. It paid me to shop hard and go to NoVa from Bethesda for that less
expensive, previous-year model. Stay away from the "C."

Honda maintenance costs: just stay away from dealers! My Honda Accord was
great on maintenance. Check out Washington Consumer Check Book (subscribe!)
for good value / good service shops. I use a place in Rockville that does a
good job for an excellent price. MPG is 44.4 averaged over 21k mi. The report
of a bad battery/engine is likely to be a fluke.

Crash worthiness of the Fit and Prius is surprisingly high but certain years
of Fits were down-rated for front corner crash problems, corrected this year.

Minis: require premium gas!

Remember: stay away from dealers for maintenance except for in-warranty stuff.

--
Roger W. Broseus - Linux User
     Email: RogerB at bronord.com
     Web Site: www.bronord.com