[TriLUG] [way OT] new auto recommendations

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Oct 17 12:56:23 EDT 2014

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 13:13:58 -0400
Brian McCullough <bdmc at bdmcc-us.com> wrote:

> ( just to wedge this on topic -- barely -- I do use my Android phones
> and Linux laptop in the car. )
>
> I am researching ( and eventually, doing ) the purchase of a new
> vehicle, and thought that I would see what "the group" thought.
>
> I am looking for something inexpensive ( relatively, since I am
> looking at "new" ), with good fuel mileage, and reasonably small,
> since most of the time there are only one or two of us in the car.
>
> I do do long-distance highway driving, as well as city.
>
> I am coming out of a 13-year-old Prius, which gave good service and
> reasonable mileage ( 35-36 long term average was normal ).

I'm totally pleased with my (bought new) 2012 Jeep Patriot with a 2.0
liter engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. It only gets 28mpg on
the freeway and 23 in town, so it might guzzle too much for you, and
Walter Chrysler would love this car: I can wear an entire fruit basket
on my head and drive it.

I've driven this thing from home (Orlando FL) to Atlanta, Chicago and
Rochester NY on business, and I love it for long travel. Never
overheats, even in the Smokey Mountains.

I got a great deal on my Patriot ($19,500), so I took what was on the
floor. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the 2.4 liter engine, for
easier freeway merging. Past 50mph, it's a little sluggish when you
stamp on it. In my case, with a manual transmission, I just compensate
by winding it high and keeping in 2nd gear til 45, 3rd gear til 60. But
I have a feeling that a 2.4 liter engine would be more comfortable
merging or passing on the freeway (or going up steep hills at 70), and
because my car is so underpowered, it probably would have the same gas
mileage.

By the way, with the 2.0 and the manual transmission, at speeds below
45 I'm one of the quickest guys on the street. Sluggishness doesn't
kick in til you shift to 3rd gear.

If you get an automatic, DO NOT get the 2.0 liter engine.

SteveT