[TriLUG] [way OT] new auto recommendations (fwd)

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Sat Oct 18 08:48:35 EDT 2014

I can't speak to the models listed below but I've known two people with
WinStars where the tranny broke.  The one friend scrapped the van.  The
other (co-worker) had me tow it to another co-worker's house nearly 3
years ago.  They've been working on it as time permits, and as the owner's
financial resources allow.  Apparently in order to fix the tranny in a
WinStar, you basically have to unbolt the entire engine compartment and
wheel assembly from the engine+transmission.  Not good.  The local fire
department has started asking for it so they can practice with the Jaws of
Life....

Better than 2k's Dodge trucks, though.  The ex-mechanic co-worker tells me
that Dodge truck transmissions from the 2000's are designed to last for
50k miles before a rebuild.  He helped his brother-in-law rebuild one in a
Durango 3 times.  on the original factory build and two of their rebuilds,
they got 40k miles off of it.  On one of the rebuilds, they got 60k miles
before it went.  He had similar success with his own Dodge pickup from the
early-mid 2000's.  He strongly disrecommends Dodge (and is, as I say, a
retired mechanic).

William Sutton