[TriLUG] Slightly OT: Audio Digitizing Hardware Question

C TC c.crider at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:08:57 EST 2014

External devices are the way to go. You'd be surprised at what that laptop
can do when you get away from the onboard sound card.
What are your sources, and how many mics are you wanting to use? Using
powered or non-powered mics?
Not the most powerful tool out there, but I've read some great reviews of
this device for basic capture. http://amzn.to/1tU12gX

I use the MAudio Fast Track Ultra 8R for recording drums, guitar (both
mic'd and direct), bass, vocals, etc.
Easy to set up; easier to use. Note, I did try some of the online hacks to
make it Linux-friendly, but have to admit that I run it
with an older Dell laptop running window$. My DAW of choice is Reaper (see:
AWESOME)

For DAC music playback from my "jukebox", to an older integrated amplifier,
I use the MODI DAC
from Schiit Audio. Don't let the name fool you; the thing is amazing.