[TriLUG] SWAP and SSD vs HDD

Leonard Boyle boyle.len at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 11:31:43 EST 2014

please take a look at this you tube video from the linux.conf.au from 2014

It is one of the best write ups of a reason to have swap on linux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNcdBQ-ANkQ

several points

- linux and most other o/s's will max out memory use for cache. So if
things get tight they normally can either release the used pages or swap
pages out.
- having pages swapped out does not mean that a system is doing heavy i/o
to the swap space. it might, but the system may have processes that are
long running but dormant.

Which is a little different then solaris or hp/ux. Solaris will reserve
space in swap when a process is started, to make sure that it has space to
swap out the process if things get really tight.

I  asked a red hat dev manager if linux reserved swap space on process
start up  and he said that linux did not.