[TriLUG] GNOME trademark issue

M. R. 13miketele at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 11 13:15:28 EST 2014

On 11/11/2014 12:00 PM, trilug-request at trilug.org wrote:
>     1. PSA: Groupon trying to jack GNOME trademark (Matthew Frazier)

> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 00:20:33 -0500
> From: Matthew Frazier <leafstormrush at gmail.com>
> To: Triangle Linux Users Group General Discussion <trilug at trilug.org>
> Subject: [TriLUG] PSA: Groupon trying to jack GNOME trademark
>
> Hello, fellow TriLUGgers,
>
> Groupon, a company that sells Internet coupons, ...
> After Groupon filed trademark registrations for "Gnome," the GNOME
> Foundation sent them a letter saying, "hey, we've been using the name
> GNOME for 17 years, could you please pick another name?"
Well, more  than "using". Actually Gnome F. trademarked "Gnome".
> So, now the GNOME Foundation is trying to raise $80,000 to challenge
> Groupon's trademark registrations. If you can spare the cash, it would
> be a good idea to donate to GNOME -- ...
> Thanks,
> Matthew Frazier
I'm not against donations from us little mice, but there  are  some
heavy hitters  out there with a possible stake in this: Sun, RH,
SUSE.... They have many more spare shekels than this little cheese
eater. Are they stepping up to the plate?

BTW: Mark Ishman, attorney in Raleigh specializes in intellectual
property law as, of  course, do others  in this area.

Mike Rulison