[TriLUG] Commercial Smart Host Providers

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Mon Nov 17 16:11:16 EST 2014

> Recently it seems that some changes in pilot's configuration
> is reducing the reliability and usefulness of this arrangement.

As the primary custodian of postfix and dovecot on pilot, I
would like to know what kind of problems you're seeing.  I
am not aware of any new changes that would affect the relay
of your outgoing mail through pilot.

Could you elaborate?  Either here, or privately to me?

That being said, we did have an issue this weekend with the
DNS for the trilug.org domain.  I missed the renewal notice
for the domain, and so it expired on Sunday.  When I noticed
mail not working, I quickly renewed the domain registration
with NameCheap and we reappeared back on the internet pretty
quickly after that.

I'm a little shocked that I never saw a renewal notice from
NameCheap, although I did get our yearly ICANN notice about
updating contact addresses.  To make sure this does not happen
again, I have added trilug.org renewal to my perpetual to-do
list, as well as the steering committee's "regular business"
notes.

Alan