[TriLUG] OT: Device for Improving WiFi Reception?

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 11:13:27 EST 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 10:06 AM, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> ...USB wifi adapter with a higher gain antenna a la this thing:
> http://www.adafruit.com/products/1030
> As best I can tell this antenna has 5db of gain but I haven't been able to
> verify that...

Plug it into a long USB extension cable
<http://www.ebay.com/sch/Computers-Tablets-Networking-/58058/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=usb+%28active%2Cpowered%29+extension>,
and you'll be able, by trial and error, to find the place where the signal
is strongest, and glue the adapter there.

Passive USB 2.0 extension cables are limited to 5 meters (16.4 feet), and
USB 3.0 is even shorter. But you can daisy-chain several 16' *active* extension
cables to get longer lengths. 16'/5m active/powered cables typically have a
repeater/hub at the socket end, so you could plug a passive cable into it
to get 32' total.

Some 30' or 32' active extension cables have the one-port hub/repeater in
the middle, so that neither wire segment is over 16'.

Some sellers also sell extension cables which apparently flout the 5m
limit. I guess the limit can be stretched a little bit. But I wouldn't try
to use one of those 50' or 65' cables, that seems like asking for trouble.

Or, to enhance the decor of her room, you could get her one of these. It's
$48 from Intrex, or $46 from NewEgg
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833997212&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Network+Antennas-_-N82E16833997212&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzb-kBRDe49qh9s75m-wBEiQATOxgwbw4eHUvwhi4RKMdvB0udydssJ37gF6k2xHTppeJWCkaAjd48P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds>
:

TP-Link TL-ANT2424B 2.4-2.5GHz 24dBi Outdoor Grid Parabolic Antenna, ideal
for a long-distance outdoor directional connection. This weatherproof
parabolic antenna is compliant with 802.11b/g wireless networks. The
directional grid antenna can be easily mounted on a pole or a wall and has
an N Female connector.

   - N Female connector, applicable in most outdoor solutions
   - Weatherproof design, suitable for all weather conditions
   - Provides easy installation mounting kits (Pole mount or wall mount)
   - Compliant with 802.11b/g
   - Frequency Range: 2.4GHz ~ 2.5GHz
   - Gain: 24dBi
   - Polarization: Vertical or Horizontal