[TriLUG] OT: Device for Improving WiFi Reception?

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 10:06:59 EST 2014

We were just having this conversation at work.  Here are two solutions that
leap to mind:

1) USB wifi adapter with a higher gain antenna a la this thing:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1030
As best I can tell this antenna has 5db of gain but I haven't been able to
verify that.  I've been using this exact model on a couple Raspberry Pi
devices with great success.

2) Buy two of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Airport-Express-A1084-54-Mbps-Wireless-G-Router-M9470LL-A-/111548755406?pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item19f8d2edce

Set AP#1 in client mode that attaches to the existing network and splits
that out the back end via Ethernet.  Connect AP#2 (configured as as access
point) to AP#1 via Ethernet and you have created a layer 2 wireless bridge
with higher power radios.  This works very well.. I have used this setup at
the Outer Banks to connect to public networks on many occasions and it
works very well.  It would be temping to buy just one and set that up as a
repeater but don't do that - repeaters are awful and negatively impact
everyone that uses the wireless signal.

I hope that helps!

Greg