[TriLUG] OT: local source for logic ICs?

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Fri Jan 16 15:48:51 EST 2015

On 1/16/2015 2:18 PM, matt at noway2.thruhere.net wrote:
> I don't know of any local places anymore.
>
> You could always order some from a place like Mouser or Digikey.  If you
> really need them that fast, you can get NDA shipping, though it will cost
> you.  Then again, it is Friday.

Yeah...my lack of skills is the true cause for this crisis.  I actually ordered
the chips I needed a week ago. Last night I realized that a 74F04 does not have
the same specs as a 74HC04...and the 74F04s I ordered are NOT what my design
will tolerate.
<sigh>
It's been a long time since I've breadboarded circuits. On the upside, I have
re-discovered how much I enjoy making LEDs flash with logic circuits.  Simple
things for simple minds :>

> You said Ratshack was a bust for HC04's.  How about some other device like
> a 555 timer or even a simple diode-capacitor oscillator such as this one:
> http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/electronics-projects-how-to-build-an-led-flasher-u.html

RS did have 555s.  And the capacitors I needed.  $6 for a CR2032 battery
nearly made me choke, though.  Fortunately, I already had plenty of those.

> I hate to say it, but hobby electronics has died.

RS has also allocated some space for "Maker" stuff (and specifically Make-
branded packages)...including a $80 electronics kit containing the $0.50 chip
I need. I'm not that desperate, yet  :o