[TriLUG] Google Fiber

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Wed Jan 28 10:14:07 EST 2015

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 9:51 AM,  <matt at noway2.thruhere.net> wrote:
>> The issue with Google is that they are not a benevolent entity and have
>
> OK, So I am really curious as to what kind of entity would actually
> satisfy you for an ISP ?
My wish list would include:
One whose function is to provide unfettered service of a data pipe with no
gimmicks like port filtering, sand vining, DNS redirection, etc.  One who
takes its customers privacy serious and refuses to give out any
information without a fully executed warrant and even then does not
acquire or store data that can be useful.  Even better would be one that
takes active measures to ensure that my data and activity remains private
and this includes email services, should I opt to use them. I would want
them to make their revenue on providing the service I am paying for and
not trying to find backroom sweetheart deals to pad their pockets by
selling information or trying to direct me in ways that are profitable to
them.

> I think Google Fiber's symmetric bandwidth will make TOR and other
> anonymity services perform much better...

It undoubtedly would.  Tor is a good start, but it has been demonstrated
as woefully inadequate.