[TriLUG] Google Fiber

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 18:19:02 EST 2015

On 01/28/2015 09:51 AM, matt at noway2.thruhere.net wrote:
> "I do not understand all the negative sentiments on Google."
> and
> "Why am filled with long term apprehension?"
>
> The issue isn't that they're bringing much needed competition to a market
> that has seen it artificially corrupted out of it in the name of high
> costs for substandard service.
>
> The issue with Google is that they are not a benevolent entity and have
> demonstrated ulterior motives on multiple past occasions, including being
> party to the mass dragnet surveillance of citizens.  Deals with the Devil
> usually sound attractive on the surface and this is no exception.
>
> I am leery of any data going over an ISP's wire.  I would be doubly so of
> Google and this is a lot of why I quit using them as a search engine a
> long time ago.

The same comparison is made towards Red Hat. No, they are not
"benevolent", they are a business. So is Google. But, I appreciate both.
My gmail just works (tm), for free I might add, and so do my google
searches. I'm just glad it is Google and not Microsoft. As Mom would say
"You dance with who brung ya."  :) Ric

Linux user# 44256