[TriLUG] Google Fiber

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 10:40:24 EST 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Wes Garrison <wes at xitechusa.com> wrote:

> Where can we get a map of the planned build-out?
>
> I have 3Mbps AT$T DSL, and that is my ONLY choice.  AT$T just ran 5 miles
> of fiber to a new cell tower and stopped a mile before our house.

I'm in Winston. AT&T has fiber, but only for downtown businesses and new
developments, i.e. high profit margin. Distance to fiber has nothing to do
with anything.

I am within a short walking distance of a major data center with high speed
fiber WAN from all the vendors (and now owned by Northstate -
https://www.datachambers.com/data-centers/winston-salem-nc/ - which
provides fiber to homes in High Point). I'm also within walking distance to
the AT&T station.

Fiber going down the street in front of me (basically on my property's
edge). DSLAM on my property. Yet, they can only offer twisted pair copper
service. I had signed up for 6Mbps but in the end they could only provide
3Mbps reliably. Everything is still old ADSL. With VDSL at least they could
offer me over 10x that speed, but why upgrade when there is no competition
and you can milk that for the next 40 years...

Can't wait for 4K video, oh wait, nevermind, I cant even do 1080p on
3Mbps...