[TriLUG] Google Fiber

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 10:54:51 EST 2015

In Charlotte, Latency was THE showstopper with AT&T DSL. I'm talking large
fractions of a second to seconds for each request it seemed. Throughput on
uploads was consistently <100Kb/s when I tested uploading to gmail, from
what I recall.
In Wake Forest, TimeWarner has a fast offering. $99.99/month with basic
bundle. 50Mb/s pretty good.
Well, I use Gmail, Hangout, and many other Google products. I @#$ sure
don't see TWC or T doing ANY innovation!  I'd much rather line Google's
pockets as at least they are innovating.
I'd love to buy something faster up here. I thought Century or someone was
going to run fiber but guess that also did not fly. Sad since I am in a new
neighborhood not 1 mile from their office. I compete directly with people
in Austin who have 2x and soon to be 6x the bandwidth I have. But, I tell
you, at about 1:30AM things are super fast around here. Positive side of a
toothache. :-) :-)

When Google lays fiber then maybe TWC will get busy. Zero reason to have
laid cable to a brand new neighborhood other than old habits.

Bring it on Google. Yesterday already!
Tim