[TriLUG] Google Fiber

Wes Garrison wes at xitechusa.com
Wed Jan 28 11:15:12 EST 2015

Yeah, I understand, it's just frustrating that they will spend all that
money to come near our neighborhood but won't provide fiber service.

They are most definitely trying to switch to wireless broadband.

They *won't even sell DSL *to new residents in our area, and TWC stops the
next street over.

It's frustrating because there is a DSLAM/VRAD 1/2 mile from my house that
serves 24Mbps Uverse, but I'm fed out of a DSLAM 3 miles away and can only
get 3Mbps DSL.

On another note, an interesting fact is that DOCSIS 3.0 can push Gigabit
speeds, and the new 3.1 standard can push multiple gigabit speeds and not
break a sweat.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/12/why-comcast-and-other-cable-isps-arent-selling-you-gigabit-internet/
(check out the cartoon, too :) )

So when Google Fiber is in the Triangle and AT$T rolls out Gigapower, TWC
can sell Gigabit (asymmetric) HFC cable access, and we'll have some actual
broadband competition!

...just not in my neighborhood.

Just venting a bit.

-Wes

Wesley S. Garrison
Network Engineer
Xitech Communications, Inc.
phone:  (919) 260-0803
pager:   (919) 869-1744
fax:       (919) 932-5051
"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from email."