[TriLUG] Google Fiber

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com
Wed Jan 28 11:03:07 EST 2015

On 01/28/2015 10:33 AM, Steve Burnett wrote:
> I live in Raleigh and AT&T's U-verse is available, but their Giga
> offering isn't available in my area - at least not yet.

Hi Steve,

One cautionary note regarding Uverse.  A lot of people think it means fiber.

When I moved to our current neighborhood in Cary five years ago, only
Time Warner Cable and AT&T DSL were available when I wanted a fiber
connection.  I work from home.  So I went with TWC, until 2012 when AT&T
announced that it was rolling out Uverse.  So I made the switch back to
AT&T, starting off with their 18 GB service.

In 2014 my employer offered to pay for a faster connection, so I called
AT&T and asked what their fastest speed was.  They looked it up and said
18 GB.  So I asked what if I switched to commercial service.  They said
that it was still 18 GB.
They finally admitted that their Uverse service to our neighborhood was
supported via DSL.

The clouds parted.  What they had really rolled out in our area was
slightly faster DSL.  Point being, Uverse is a squishy name.  If they
can get you to switch to DSL by concealing what it is, they will do it.
I went with TWC business class instead, about twice the throughput.

   Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote
scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com