[TriLUG] Google Fiber

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 03:56:52 EST 2015

On 01/28/2015 11:48 PM, William Sutton wrote:
> +1.  Having been a Comcast customer (I would say "disgruntled", but that
> would be redundant), and having used HughesNet at my in-laws', as much
> as I hate Comcast, you would die of old age waiting for data to come
> back over Hughes.  Even ssh over Hughes is terribly slow.  Nevermind
> something like Flash....
I'm using the newer and more pricey Gen4. I had some problems, but it
was related to the installer not putting the correct sat info. After
raising hell to get a REAL tech onto my case, he got it straightened out.

Yes, there is realtime lag, with the speed of light and all, but
depending on the site I connect to I can get fairly decent response. I
can watch Youtube with little sweat. Game playing and VoIP are not very
usuable, again with the lag of sending to the sat, it relaying the
request signal to the ground station to gather the data, sending it back
up and then down to me. Actually a second or two of lag isn't bad,
considering all of that. But, it pricey as merry hell and you get 10
gigs total a month. So, you wouldn't want to visit hulu very often. But,
if you live in the middle of the pine forest, and you gotta be
connected, it's the only way to go. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256