[TriLUG] MySQL Replication

Brian McCullough bdmc at buadh-brath.com
Thu Jan 29 16:06:18 EST 2015

I am in the midst of trying to set up MySQL Replication between two of
our Joomla machines, and have some questions.

I have been working my way through the documentation on the MySQL site,
following the instructions there, and have, as far as I know, done
everything ( mostly ) correctly.

However, now that I have started both master and slave, I think that I
am seeing that the slave is not allowed to connect to the master.

Because these two machines are neighbors in a ( 10. ) LAN, and their DNS
names are for their external addresses, I used the LAN IP address when I
created the user record for the slave on the master.

However, the master is saying that "IP Address xxx could not be
resolved: Name or service not known", which I see as the reason why the
slave is not allowed to connect.  I may be wrong about that cause,
however.

I tried adding that IP address to /etc/hosts, but that didn't seem to
help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian