[TriLUG] keyboards

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Feb 28 20:57:09 EST 2015

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 16:10:11 -0500
Ric Moore via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> On 02/28/2015 08:26 AM, Peter Neilson via TriLUG wrote:

> > Does anyone have a recommendation for a keyboard with better keys?
>
> The keyboard of the Televideo 1603 was a dream. Alas, those days of
> CP/M and keyboard chivalry are long gone. :( Ric

Yes!

My Kaypro 2x came with this light touch keyboard with even spring
action all the way down, and when you hit bottom, you could go no
further and knew it. This sounds problematic, but in fact it was a fast
type and I've never had anything like it.

I had several of the IBM Clickety Clacks over the years and liked them,
but while I was writing Samba Unleashed I stopped using them because
they required too much finger pressure for 3K word/day month long
stretches.

I now have a circa 2002 Compaq keyboard that's absolutely wonderful.
Tactical feedback without the 50 decibel sound of the IBM
clickety-clacks, and without the extreme finger pressure requirement.

The only problem is, I eat at my keyboard (excuuuuuuuse me!), so it's
filthy now. What do you guys do to clean up a keyboard? I was thinking
of taking a photo of it, putting all the keys in the washing machine,
cleaning the exterior and somehow the interior too without losing the
springs and rubber domes, and then putting it back together again. Does
that sound reasonable?

I long for the days when you could get really good keyboards for three
bucks apiece at garage sales and computer swap meets.

SteveT