[TriLUG] Help: Very strange email attachment goings-on

David Both via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Mar 9 13:18:12 EDT 2015

Computers seem to be a never-ending source of inexplicable happenings that defy
common sense and even modest knowledge of what is happening under the hood. For
example:

I just received a call from a customer. She could neither "Save-As" nor open
four DOCX files from two separate emails from two different sources (Gmail and
Yahoo) using Thunderbird and LibreOffice on Fedora 20. The options were not
available on the popup menu.

I had her send the emails to me. I opened all 4 DOCX files directly from
Thunderbird with no issue and could also save them. I replied to her with one of
her emails and then copied the other two DOCX files from the other email to the
reply email using drag an drop. After sending the reply to her, she was able to
open all of the DOCX files with no problem directly from Thunderbird. So the
Thunderbird helper application of LibreOffice is properly specified. My
customer's ISP is TWC.

I did not change any of the documents. I cannot imagine why it would work when I
resend them and not when sent directly from the originators.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?

Thanks for any and all of your help!

David P. Both, RHCE
Millennium Technology Consulting LLC
Raleigh, NC, USA
919-389-8678

dboth at millennium-technology.com

www.millennium-technology.com
www.databook.bz - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both
This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not consent to the
retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as
printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you
believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it
immediately.