[TriLUG] Win4Lin

Ric Moore via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Mar 11 14:20:43 EDT 2015

On 03/11/2015 10:24 AM, Scott Chilcote via TriLUG wrote:
> HI Brian,
>
> According to the wikipedia page, this product was discontinued in 2008
> and the development has been discontinued.  The most recent version of
> windows it supports is listed as XP, but there's no mention of SP
> level.  It's possible that the page needs updating though.
>
> Your email message was a blast from the past. I was a Win4Lin developer
> until mid-2001, when Netraverse crashed and burned along with the starry
> eyed dot com speculators who were backing it.  Heady days!
>
> After it flamed out, a very small core of determined people (mostly in
> Austin) kept the embers burning and fanned it back to life.
> Unfortunately I can't tell you more, they built a new company around the
> product after that.

Do you remember WABI that came with Caldera Linux?? That was SO SLICK!!
You launched it, fed the floppy drive with your Win3.1 disks and entered
your license number, and you had! real Windows running on the desktop in
it's own xterm, complete to having the Win Chines when it loaded. That
was as slick as anything,. I had it from one of the Caldera devs that
they actually saw a Win95 version, which somehow got jerked before it
was released. Mysterious!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi_%28software%29

http://web.archive.org/web/19990913191434/http://www01.heise.de/ct/english/98/10/166/

I truly miss Caldera. Ric