[TriLUG] Win4Lin

Scott Chilcote via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Mar 11 15:14:14 EDT 2015

On 03/11/2015 02:20 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

> Do you remember WABI that came with Caldera Linux?? That was SO SLICK!!
> You launched it, fed the floppy drive with your Win3.1 disks and
> entered your license number, and you had! real Windows running on the
> desktop in it's own xterm, complete to having the Win Chines when it
> loaded. That was as slick as anything,. I had it from one of the
> Caldera devs that they actually saw a Win95 version, which somehow got
> jerked before it was released. Mysterious!
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi_%28software%29
>

> http://web.archive.org/web/19990913191434/http://www01.heise.de/ct/english/98/10/166/
>

> I truly miss Caldera. Ric

Hi Ric,

I didn't come across WABI, that was a few years before Win4Lin.  It
looks a lot like what we were doing with Win4Lin though.  At one point I
had a working demo of MIME type support for Windows file formats, within
Linux.  Click on a video file type in nautilus, and it would pop up a
Win4Lin window, which would load the video in Windows and start it
playing.  It seems trivial, but it was new functionality for its time.

The WABI page also says that DOS Merge was supported in Caldera.  A few
years later that became the Win4Lin codebase.  Their company (TreLOS)
was sort of smashed together with a local Linux/networking company
called Lastfoot.com in Morrisvile to form NeTraverse.

   Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote
scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com