[TriLUG] The sad state of sysadmin in the age of containers

Igor Partola via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Mar 13 16:47:44 EDT 2015

> What this would do is place the trust in the hands of the user.
Unfortunately too many would still trust Google or would still use them
even if they don't.

I don't believe it would. Currently, as a user of example.com, I have to
trust:

- The registrar of example.com to provide the correct NS records
- All the CA's that nobody provided a rogue cert for example.com
- The site maintainer to create and install a cert signed by a trusted CA
on their web server

In my proposed plan, as a user I'd have to trust:

- The registrar of example.com to provide the correct NS records and to
provide one and only one local CA to the site maintainer
- The site maintainer to create and install a cert using their own local CA

Note that I never have to talk to Google or anyone outside the normal chain
here. This plan strictly eliminates CA's without making you trust any
additional parties any more than you already do.

All this does is make the registrar do more work in issuing and revoking
local CA's, and on the site maintainer to keep their local CA secret.

> Such a system would also take away a lot of money from the CA companies
as it would eliminate things like green bar validation that costs beacoup
bucks.

Absolutely correct, and this is why something like this is not happening
right now. My biggest hope is that the Let's Encrypt initiative drives the
CA profits to $0, so that most of them go out of business and lose their
grip on the Internet. Then we can rebuild using something better than what
we had before.

Igor