[TriLUG] SATA 4-in-1 hotswap enclosure

Paul Bennett via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Mar 15 08:26:32 EDT 2015

Hi Triluggers,

I've got a spare SATA hotswap enclosure that fits four 2.5" drives in
a 5.25" bay. Would suit SSDs for a nice fast RAID-0 var / tmp volume,
a nice nearly-as-fast RAID-5 root volume, or any other scenario in
which physical space is at a premium. It has a detachable rear 40mm
fan assembly depending on whether heat dissipation or noise levels are
more important to you (though the fan itself isn't actually that
noisy). It also has a nice annoying buzzer that'll scream at you if
one of the drives fails, or something else untoward happens.

I want to get rid of it, in exchange for money, interesting trades, or
a tax receipt from a suitable charitable cause. I can find the
manufacturer and part number if you like -- I bought it on newegg a
couple of years ago, and recently replaced it with an enclosure that
fits six low-profile 2.5" drives, which is why it's available.

Word of warning: it's old-timey PC beige, not modern fashionable
black. Aside from that, it's in good working order.

I might be able to find a couple of old SSDs to populate it with, too,
if you're desperate. Just email me (on or off the list), and let's get
a conversation going.

Thanks,

--
Paul W Bennett