[TriLUG] Camera & Software Suggestions

Bill Farrow via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Mar 14 17:18:28 EDT 2015

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 1:50 PM, C TC via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>  There will be a lot up-close shots; mainly hands & tools. In the Window$
> world, the Logitech C920 has reigned king for awhile. However, my Google-Fu

I have been using a C920 webcam to record TriLUG meetings. The key
feature of the C920 is that it can produce a h264 stream natively.
Unfortunately most distros and tools do not support this mode of
operation, but if you get the latest upstream tools and compile from
source you should be able to do it.

The other thing to be aware of is the focal length of the C920 has
been optimized for shorter distances, like 2m and less. This might be
great for your close ups, but to record Trilug meetings I had to
disassemble and adjust the lens to allow it to autofocus to infinity.

Video software to investigate, in addition to Jeremy's suggestions :
  guvcview - simple video capture
  kdenlive - multi-track video editor
  pitivi - video editor using gstreamer

Bill