[TriLUG] semi-OT: mail relaying broken for other time warner customers?

Lance A. Brown via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Mar 23 16:12:13 EDT 2015

On 2015-03-23 3:17 pm, Lisa Lorenzin via TriLUG wrote:
> matt, thanks for confirming that we're not the only ones running into
> this... :(
>
> lance, thanks for the suggestion!  we considered just going with that
> kind of workaround for this (especially since we just switched from
> their DNS servers to OpenDNS to bypass the DNS resolution problems due
> to unreachability of their DNS servers). but to be honest, i'm rather
> incandescently pissed off at them for just breaking this with no
> warning, enough so that i'm willing to fight with their tech support
> to see if we can get it fixed.

When TWC blocked outbound SMTP connections, I started relaying through
smtp.nc.rr.com and that worked for a while.  Then I noticed delays in
message delivery; sometimes as much as 12 hours!  That led me to set up
relayhost delivery to my linode.com machine.

Relayhost-ing through the TriLUG server is an excellent idea in my
opinion.  The only drawback to either solution is having to put a
password on your server someplace for sednmail/postfix to authorize its
connection to the relayhost.

--[Lance]