[TriLUG] OT: Tablet Recommendations

Ken MacKenzie via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat May 16 14:03:38 EDT 2015

A Kindle fire is very different than the original kindle.

Ken

On May 16, 2015 2:01 PM, "Alan Sterger via TriLUG" <trilug at trilug.org>
wrote:

> I used an early Kindle.  Reading PDFs was difficult as the Kindle would
not reflow text even if used in horizontal/landscape mode, leaving unused
whitespace in the margins.  Resultant print was too small to read
comfortably.  Plus early B/W only Kindle used drop shadow that made its
"experimental" web browser look hideous.  Thus, I don't want a 100% eReader.

> Looking for a tablet with color that does an excellent job at displaying
PDFs in horizontal/landscape as wide as the margins allow and can browse
the web, reproduce web images in color. Thinking I might need at least an
8" tablet to accomplish....

> Thanks again for your thoughts, suggestions,
>
> Alan Sterger
>

> On 5/16/2015 1:01 PM, Ken MacKenzie wrote:
>>
>> Most any android tablet will probably work out well.  Do you have a
preferred screen size/form factor?  Galaxy tabs might be a good option.
Removable storage eliminates Kindle Fires and I think most Nexus devices.
Also there are these Dragon Touch devices that sell well on Amazon.  No
personal experience with them.