[TriLUG] Why do you/don't you use FOSS? (Was: Tablet Recommendations)

Ken MacKenzie via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun May 17 13:47:42 EDT 2015

In the tablet world there is not much in a practical working format in the
FOSS space today.  We are touching on the other reason I strongly prefer
carrying my chromebook around vs my IPAD.

I want this to change but it has been slow.  Ubuntu Touch is still not
really here.  I will say though that in the recent tablet world I am
starting to more strongly consider x86 based windows tablets.  Even the bay
trail ones that are next to impossible to get a working linux install on.
MS is saying they are going to go more open source.  Not sure what that
means with regards to the core OS yet but let's just hope.  But with it
being a full windows OS one could install FOSS things like say gimp on it
or virtual box and open up a whole different world than the current tablet
offerings.

I think the next generation of Windows tablets could inadvertently open
 the door more for true Linux tablets.  My need for low latency audio is
what has kept the ipad relevant for me for so long.  The chromebook took
its place though in that regard and now the ipad is my big time waster.  In
other words most of the time I am on it it is playing clash of clans or
injustice.  I go back and forth about keeping the ipad because of some
higher end audio apps I bought for it.  Like I must see the investment pay
off in some strange fashion.

Ken