[TriLUG] cut the TV cable

Tim Jowers via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jun 30 06:53:52 EDT 2015

Good discussion. -1 for Chromecast. Barely works from behind my TV. guess
too much metal in the way. Don't want to re-wire my house to get it to
work. Also, doesn't work on TV's without a usb.

+1 for over the air. There's a company in town which makes the antennas.
You can get something like 30 channels. I wonder if anyone is recording
those?  I searched linuxtv.org and bought a device listed there but it did
not work. Well, it barely works with windows. In fact, the only thing which
will play its recordings is xbmc. I also messed with MythTV briefly but
didn't see what it could do for me.?

I guess I should try the plex/roku.  Have Apple TV and chrome cast but seem
only useful for netflix.

Cheers,
Tim