[TriLUG] cut the TV cable

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jun 30 09:43:53 EDT 2015

I use XBMC and yes you can stream priated movies and many other highly questionable sites. As with all Open Source that comes from a free society you can use the technology for good or bad. The user is the person that chooses which to use, and the device is just a dumb slave device doing what you ask it to do.
XBMC gets a huge +1 from me and you can integrate it with MythTV.
Chromecast ischeap and rgeat for just taking with you anywhere and watching Netflix, Hulu etc. It does not have much flexibility like XBMC, but just taking it around from TV to TV or travel is awesome.
The Rokus look great, I have not tried them, but they certainly get high marks from users I know.
My Dad loves the AppleTV, but he is an Apple Fan Boy. It's great if you you have an Apple ecosystem, otherwise don't bother.
The bottom line is Cable as we know it is done. We are finally getting to the point where we are picking what content we want to pay for, and it is great. I've been saving $90 a month on cable but spending less than $20 on streaming services and I have more content than I could ever watch.

Cut the Cord and Cut it now. Show Time Warner who the customer is. Why do you think they are so desperate to merge, they are pushing off their accounting as far as they can until they can hide the truth with a merger. They are getting obliterated with these choices out there.