[TriLUG] cut the TV cable

Sean Alexandre via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jun 30 19:12:11 EDT 2015

On 06/30/2015 08:33 AM, Bill Farrow via TriLUG wrote:
> Kodi (XBMC) - Open Source Software

+1 for Kodi. I've installed [1] it on an Ubuntu box and use it as a
media center, for playing movies and TV shows. The UI is beautiful, and
the default settings for looking up metadata work great.The box is a
cool little Gigabyte Brix -- only about 4"x5"x1". I used to have a full
size ATX case next to my TV, for the graphics. But, this little box
plays 1080 HD just fine. It's a bit pricey, but runs quiet and only uses
about 12w. Intrex sells them: their "Intrex ML Series" [2]. I have the
GB-BXI3H-4010 [3]. Here's a review of a similar model:

Gigabyte Brix GB-BXi7-4500 review: Pint-sized power at a plus-sized cost
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2153780/gigabyte-brix-gb-bxi7-4500-review-pint-sized-power-at-a-plus-sized-cost.html

[1] http://kodi.wiki/view/Installing_XBMC_for_Linux
[2] http://intrex.com/PCs/Intrex_PCs.aspx
[3] http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4742&kw=GB-