[TriLUG] cut the TV cable‏

Christopher Bickhaus via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jun 30 20:35:37 EDT 2015

My wife and I just moved to South Durham a couple of weeks ago.  We
dropped cable TV a few years ago.  We use a Chromecast which has been
really nice for Netflix, Pandora, and YouTube.  It can also play
anything that you can play in the Chrome browser which can be really
nice, but as someone else mentioned, it does use resources on the device
 you are casting from, as well as, your wi-fi router.

As far as
 Kodi/XBMC goes, check out open elec.  It is a distro already set up for
 Kodi.  I do not have personal experience with it, but they talked about
 it a couple months ago on the Linux Action Show, and the hosts seemed
to like it a lot.  You can even run it on a Raspberry Pi (1 or 2) for a low power solution!

Regarding TV antennas, we have used an RCA
ANT1650R that I got from Radio Shack in the past, but we are having some
 trouble with it on our tv on the first floor here.  I am looking at the
 Mohu Leaf 50 vs. the Amazon Basics antenna rated for the same range.
Does anyone have an idea as to which may be better?