[TriLUG] Meeting July 9: Free Software and Copyright (new location!)

Matthew Frazier via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jul 2 05:44:27 EDT 2015

Topic: Free Software and Copyright
When: Thursday, July 9 2015 - 7:00pm to 9:00pm
Where: Bandwidth, Venture III, 900 Main Campus Dr, Raleigh, NC 27606
Parking: Venture Center Deck, adjacent to Venture III on Venture Center
Way

Many thanks to Bandwidth for providing a new meeting location for us!
It's right down the street from our old location in EB I/II/III.

Synopsis
Free and open source software owes its existence to copyright laws, but
as the community has grown, its understanding of copyright and licensing
has diminished. Source code hosting sites are now replete with
improperly licensed projects, license violations, and users and
developers who are unclear what rights they actually have. But it
doesn't have to be this way!

This presentation will open with a crash course on copyright, and then
narrow its focus to issues related to Free Software licensing -- how the
licenses actually work, how to choose a license appropriate for your
project, where trademarks and patents fit into all this, and what
licensing things you should NEVER EVER DO. We'll close with a look at
the Supreme Court's recent decision in Oracle v. Google and its
implications for free software.

Bio
Matthew Frazier is TriLUG's PR Officer and a recent graduate of NC State
University's Computer Science program. At NC State, he developed and
taught the Digital Millennium Copyright Class, a one-hour seminar course
on modern copyright issues. He enjoys participating in the free/open
source software community by presenting and teaching at conferences and
user groups. (And sometimes he even writes code.)
--
See you there,
Matthew Frazier