[TriLUG] mostly OT: movies on the go?

Ken MacKenzie via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jul 20 10:04:54 EDT 2015

Android tablets are all good suggestions.  I would also mention a
chromebook can do it but the form factor of those except maybe the new Acer
Flip might not work as well for you.

I think a raspberry PI or similar single board computer could also be an
interesting solution.  You could kind of build that in to the vehicle and
have it be a rather modular solution.

I will put one other idea out there, the new android set top boxes.  We
have a mad cat MOJO in the house.  It is basically like a roku but android
based.  But they are all about rooting it even at the company level and it
is made for android gaming.  Good specs.  Comes with a game controller and
you can add storage space with USB drives.  You get that and your kids can
have movies and/or video games in the car.  If I was to do it all over
again though I would also take a look at the latest NVIDIA Shield set top
android box.  Now granted with those solution you would need something to
send an HDMI signal to so overall it might come in as more expensive than
the low end android tablets, and you would not have touch control.  However
the pro is for the price of the mojo ($150) and a small screen you would
have specs that rival the high end tablets for less.  And it is more
modular if need be.

Ken

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Reginald Reed via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org