[TriLUG] mostly OT: movies on the go?

Joseph S. Tate via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jul 22 11:10:21 EDT 2015

VLC for player works well, and is OSS, and UPNP Browser (
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=b4a.upnpBrowser since there
are a few). It's no-frills, free (beer though I bet the dev would share the
source if asked), with no ads. As alternative players, you could try
MXPlayer or VPlayer as suggested by the developer of the upnp browser app.

Handbrake for ripping DVDs, and MakeMKV (non-free, but partially? open
source, though I've never been able to run the Linux port) for ripping
Blu-Ray disks (then a trip through Handbrake to improve the compression
rate).

Joseph