[TriLUG] Linux Careers in the Triangle

Jeremy Davis via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jul 23 11:57:25 EDT 2015

I recommend volunteering with local meetups and events that focus on your
interests or at least attend.

You get a lot more in return when you volunteer.

For example, events need sponsors and speakers. Often the sponsors are
staffing companies or corporate marketing managers from tech companies
etc.. Working with them is not bad if your are looking for job
opportunities. You could be the guy with a resume in a cold stack of
resumes vs. you could be the well known guy helping the staffing company
stay in business and meet their goals.

Also, finding expert speakers for an event has a whole set of benefits too.
This process involves attending other great events and listening to
presentations. When you hear a good talk, introduce yourself after the
presentation and ask the speaker to speak at TriLUG for example.

At POSSCON, Harper Reed was asked how he became the lead engineer for the
Obama For America 2012 campaign, his answer was, "I started attending MySQL
conferences while it was popular and one thing led to another."  He didn't
highlight college or work history, it was knowing and working with the
industry experts that paved the way to that opportunity.

For a while, it seemed all the TriLUG Steering Committee members were
landing jobs at Google.

I recommend making it a high priority to attend the All Things Open
conference in October. Their speaker lineup is always incredible.
http://allthingsopen.org/speakers/

If you ever feel there is a shortage of opportunities, check out my
newsletter that tracks over 100 groups and events in our area:
http://trianglecareerdevelopment.com/

Jeremy Davis