[TriLUG] mostly OT: Tech Lobbyist

Aaron Joyner via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 24 11:34:21 EDT 2015

There's a large / entrenched base of government IT workers who support the
existing systems (desktops, web servers, app servers, etc).  There's also
likely a large quantity of somewhat-specialized software for which FLOSS
alternatives may not be fully baked for yet (think GIS, accounting, etc).
Migrating all those systems to FLOSS alternatives is an excellent long-term
goal, but government tends to move very slowly in this regard for many of
those reasons.

I suspect that more legislation is unlikely to be effective at pushing that
process forward.  What we need are more direct involvement from people on
this list to help educate the career bureaucrats on just how much better
their world could be in the bright shiny IT future we all live in, and then
offers to do actual work to help push them in that direction.  Consider the
recent efforts like the US Digital Service[1].  I personally know a lot of
the people involved in that effort.  If you want to contribute at the
federal level, or start similar efforts at the state level, let me know and
I can help put you in touch with the right people.

Aaron S. Joyner

1 - https://www.whitehouse.gov/digital/united-states-digital-service