[TriLUG] mostly OT: Tech Lobbyist

Tim Jowers via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 24 12:59:03 EDT 2015

Thank you Alan and Aaron,

  Without representation at the State Government level, we will be having
these same discussions another decade from now.

 State of NC outlawing competition for Internet Access is a well-known
example.

  One thing to consider is the ISACA and ISO frameworks. What these have
done is standardize processes and also governance procedures. In short,
they define how IT should be run. My overall point is the legal governing
body can, and does, dictate technology decisions. The legalism of our
society is only in its infancy, believe it or not. We either take control
of the law making process or get rolled under.

   Our state and federal government have and do take an active role in
dictating and even venture fundings technology. The lack of representation
for Linux is a clear example the Linux community is living with its head in
a hole in this regard. There is no technical reason Linux is not used for
the bulk of government platforms. There is no technical reason. Its purely
political. Without representation, the Linux community and the tech
community at large will continue to be rolled over by wrong legislation and
will continue to miss opportunities by not promoting the right legislation.

My thoughts,
Tim Jowers
P.s> About 10 years ago I did a quick study on Exchange replacements. There
were a couple out there. Probably still are. You are right, some very large
companies have moved to gmail for their corporate email.